This year, Pantone surprised us all by announcing not one, but two colors of the year:
Pantone describes them as a "marriage of color conveying a message of strength and hopefulness that is both enduring and uplifting.” NorthStar definitely supports these attributes! And we see these in our clients each and every day.
But the real question is, how are we going to wear yellow and gray makeup? Check out some of our ideas below:
• Go bold or go home. We believe gold should “count” as yellow—it’s metallic yellow after all! So don’t be afraid to pair a wing black liner with this Haus Laboratories Eye-Dentify Gel Pencil Eyeliner (in metallic gold) just above the black wing. Plus then you don’t need eyeshadow!
• Be daring and use both colors at once. A dual mascara like Urban Decay Double Team Special Effect Colored Mascara (in dime/goldmine) is perfect for this look. We recommend applying a neutral/skin tone eyeshadow with a thin black liner to complete the look, without competing with the bold metallic mascara. And experiment using both colors on different lids or top vs. bottom lashes.
• Play it safe with gray eyeshadow. Gray is a gorgeous eyeshadow color for all eye colors. And even thought it’s a safe color, you can apply eyeshadow in so many ways to keep it adventurous:
• For a dark smoky eye, apply gray to your eyelids with a black shadow blended in your crease to right under your brow bone.
• For a stunning gradient/ombre look (one of my faves!), apply a lighter color in the inner corner of your eye, gray in the middle, and black in the outer portions. Then just blend the colors until it’s perfect for you.
As always, good makeup starts with good skin…which starts with good skincare! Use a daily moisturizer and/or primer (like Polaris Cream) to maintain and repair skin. Remember that if you’re unsure how to complete these looks, NorthStar Luxe offers virtual and in-person makeup lessons and group classes.
For more on incorporating bold colors into your makeup routine, check out our 2020 blog on classic blue: Spring into Beauty with Pantones Color of the Year! Also, visit our Instagram page for story highlights on creative ways other makeup artists are incorporating the 2021 Pantone colors of the year into their makeup looks!